Monday, November 29, 2010

Tyler update

David and I went to get them yesterday and our time management skills (lack of is more like it) got us on the road much later than I planned. Then I looked back in David's van and realized that we didn't have a carseat. David had misunderstood that he needed to pick it up from Ron (Kayla's dad). Luckily he was awesome enough to bring it to us.


A friend sent me this email this morning and I thought it would be good to type this once, so here's the scoop:

How is the baby today?  I haven’t talked to them today, but he was really happy to be home last night after David & I picked them up. He was done with being poked and prodded.
How is Tiff and Army holding up? Tiff is holding up much better than I would have expected. Army is being super supportive and they both feel very confident in the doctors and the plan of action so far. He’ll be having tests this week to make sure there is only the one and tentatively surgery will be next Tuesday.
How are you?  I have a lot of peace about Tyler. I was pretty upset that first day for “my” baby because I worry about her so much because her health hasn’t been that great. She’s down to about 87 lbs and feels all her stress in her tummy. But she is really doing good J
What can I do to help you through this? The only thing I know of right now is prayer. Pray that once they remove the tumor that we are DONE. That’s best case scenario and the drs made Tiff and Army feel like that will probably be what happens. They’ll do a biopsy on the tumor and during surgery they’ll do a bone marrow biopsy. Once they have the results of that they’ll know what further action, if any, needs to be taken. 

Additional details:  The doctor's initial assessment is that it is a neuroblastoma - excess nerves from his spine - and it's located behind a lung along his spine. He probably has had it since birth. He didn't start walking until later than most kids and he favors his right side. When Tiff and Army took Tyler for his 2 year old check up they ordered for him to have physical therapy. The doctors at Arnold Palmer said that this surgery will probably make all that go away.

This week he will travel back to AP to get a shot and then an mIBG scan (I think twice). The surgery will take 1 -1 1/2 hours from the back (which is good since he sleeps on his tummy).



That's all I have for now. Thank you for all the prayer. I think it gave Tiffany & Army a lot of comfort to feel like they were blanketed in it.

No comments: